Thursday, August 25, 2011

I'm alive. Barely.

"But the world had other ways of breaking men. They were already familiar with the smell. Sicksweet. Like old roses on a breeze." 
(Arundhati Roy: The God of Small Things)

BEAM chemotherapy regimen. What can I say? Maybe not too much, but this site might give you some insight: cancerhelp.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/treatment/cancer-drugs/beam


So far I've only had the B and the E of the aforementioned acronym, but I'm telling you, this stuff is NO JOKE. 

The timetable for my stem cell transplant (SCT) is as follows:
Wed 24 -DAY -7 chemo
Thu 25 - DAY -6 chemo
Fri 26 - DAY -5 chemo
Sat 27 - DAY -4 chemo
Sun 28 - DAY -3 chemo
Mon 29 - DAY -2 Rest (!!!)
Tue 30 - DAY -1 Rest (!!!)
Wed 31 - DAY 0  SCT aka REBIRTH

From day 0 it takes roughly two weeks for my stem cells to find their way back home to the bone marrow and start producing new cells. The isolation period with zero immunity is most likely between days 0 and +14.

Lots of love to you all. I can feel your positive energy flying in through my open hospital window.


P.S. I've got yet another tube installed in my chest. This one isn't as bad though. It'll hardly leave a scar. And even if it did, scars are cooler than tattoos. They tell far more interesting stories. 


7 comments:

  1. You're sooo right, Lau. Thanks for the countdown, I'll chat with you tonight. if I get my smartphone to work, that is. Sigo a tu lado, let's kick some cancer-ass! (ok, that sounded good in my head, but looks strange written... nevermind, it's all good ;) )

    L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad for the update, I have been wondering how things with you were, I have followed your blog for about a month now. Good luck with the rest of the treatments and the SCT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay you are all started. its not fun but as i said before, it will end! just take all the anti sickness they have and try and sleep through as much of it as you can.

    loads of good vibes, am checking your blog every day and thinking of you!!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Lau!!!!
    You rock! Good work babe :) Let them drug you up so you don't feel the dizzyness - and remember: every day is a victory. Reina luchadora.
    Love you babe..
    /Barb.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Voi hitto mitä hommaa...
    Tsemppiä ja voimia! It's a final countdown (tidydiidyy, tidydittittyy...)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paljon olet ajatuksissa, voimia!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Och jag tänker på dig. Varje dag, många gånger. Tänker att snart är det där hemska förbi, snart blir det bra. Kramar.

    ReplyDelete